Sunday, November 22, 2015

The Quran vs. ISIS

This is the article I wish I didn’t have to write. But such are the circumstances of the world that I feel compelled to believe it is absolutely necessary. There will be some who disagree with me. There will be some who may write me off as an idiot and never read anything I write again. There are some who won’t bother to understand what I’m really saying here and some who won’t like it. So be it. My integrity to myself is far more important than followers and readers.

Honest and personal evaluation is needed in this case. No other opinion will do.

I have asked many people many times to provide me with irrefutable proof that the Quran is a book of violence. I have received in return many arguments, none based on the actual text of the Quran. I have received links to several sites that supposedly exposed violent passages from the Quran. All of those supposed references were either terribly mistranslated when compared to the actual texts, cross referenced with eight different translations, or they were taken terribly out of context.

It needs to be understood that I am ONLY comparing ISIS to the Quran. My current study is very limited and very specific. I am not saying that Islam is a great religion or a bad one. I’m not comparing the Quran, except where absolutely necessary, to the Bible. That ISIS is a bunch of psychopathic and rabid animals who cannot share the dignity of being called human needs no further endorsement from me than an observation of their own actions of any who care to look at them.

For the sake of definitions of terms and axioms there are many definitions of what insanity is. There is one that stands in my mind as the quickest and most comprehensive index as to what is considered to be insane. Insanity is the ability to distinguish differences.

Let’s say for example, that a person can’t tell the difference between a tomato and a car who tries to drive the tomato to work. You would call this person insane, I would hope, and I think most people would tend to agree. Most of the time it is a bit more subtle than that though. Paranoid would be the inability to tell the difference between people who are genuinely out to get them and people who have no interest in them whatsoever or wish them nothing but the best.

It is essential per many well written and accepted texts on the strategies of war to understand one’s enemy. To do so the definition of insanity as above is absolutely necessary because you have to identify what is and is not the enemy. Thus I come to the central question I was seeking to resolve.

Is ISIS following the Quran?

Anything can be taken out of context and lied about. Anything can be made to look bad. That includes the Bible as well as the Quran. For example if you look in Numbers 31:17-18, you will find, “Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.” There is also Matthew 10:34, “Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.” These are the orders and words of Moses and Jesus respectively. Also they are most certainly out of context with the entirety of the books they come from.

So as part of the puzzle before me I have to also ask, “Is there anything in the Quran that would justify the existence of ISIS?”

As an example for comparison I could go to the understanding of Christianity. I wouldn’t think to ask Bill Maher for his opinion. Nor would I look to history at things like the Salem Witch Hunts, the Spanish Inquisition, the fate of Joan of Arc, news reports on MSNBC, or any other so-called “experts” on the subject who would only inject the topic with their own bias. I would instead prefer to read the actual Bible and learn for myself, firsthand.

Likewise, you will never know the truth about what Islam is without reading the Quran. There are other things to include as part of this but as I said, I am emphatically NOT trying to go for the total understanding of Islam and its history. However, basing your opinion of Islam on what you see on Social Media or the Main Stream Media or the actions of the raving lunatics known as ISIS would never yield the truth about what Islam really is. And I am interested in the truth.

If you want to know the truth of a thing you have to look at the thing itself.

There are some short cuts that were offered to me by some of the kindest people I know who referred me to various web sites that tell of the violent verses of Islam. I don’t trust them because they seldom give you context. From the Quran chapter 2:191 comes to mind. “Slay them wherever you find them; drive them out of the places from which they drove you, for persecution is worse than killing.” Well, that seems pretty harsh, right? Now consider the words immediately preceding these. “And fight in God’s cause against those who wage war against you, but do not commit aggression—for surely, God does not love aggressors.” Huh. That’s a completely different story now! I’d dare almost any Christian not to swear to the same standard when it’s them who is being attacked.

I don’t trust such sites. Their bias in evaluating the Quran has exactly the same motivation as the Atheist sites that show the violence of the Bible! It’s like Spock with a beard. You know in very short order that something is wrong if you are at all interested in honest research for nothing other than your own quest for discovery.

After reading it for myself, I have found that there are most certainly violent verses within the Quran. Now I’m not considering examples of, “God’s just retribution,” where it is God saying things like, “I will burn the unbelievers in Hell forever.” I’m only looking for examples where God tells man to kill in his name. Even in that I’m not taking into account acts of war which are only in retaliation for physical attacks on Muslims first. I’m looking specifically for instances where God or His Messenger say to attack other people purely and simply because they do not believe the same things as Muslims do.

There are many references in the Quran that say the Muslims disagree with other religions. This is typical and accepted by all religions that I have studied. But I cannot find a single reference in the Quran that says to kill someone whom they disagree with unless that/those person/people have attacked them first.

There are many sites on the internet that take every act and utterance of righteous vengeance on Allah’s part and claim it is proof that the entirety of Islam is violent. Islam, at the time of many of these writings, was a nation at war surrounded and permeated by forces that were hostile to them simply for the act of believing something different themselves. It’s not easy to start a religion in a violent and tyrannical area of the world. So of course some of the writing is harsh. Thus is the nature of human beings while under attack. Witness practically any speech by William “Bull” Halsey after Pearl Harbor. By the same standards the Bible, particularly the Old Testament, says the same kinds of things because quite frequently the Hebrews were experiencing the same sort of conflicts. Those conflicts continue to this very day and to this very day those in opposition to Israel say that they are not a religion of peace but instead are a merciless and warring heathen force in the world.

I believe it to be in the nature of human beings to see the most of whatever it is they want to see based on their considerations of themselves and those who they are surrounded by. Most of us want to believe that the bulk of humanity is most like ourselves. I consider myself to be a kind, decent and forgiving human being. Therefore I look at the Quran, as I would any religious text, and see the most of that within it that is kind, decent, and forgiving. Certainly there are parts of it where there is some controversy regarding interpretation. As such, maybe I read it with a lighter heart than others would. Okay, I’m fine with that. But in my opinion, based only on my own evaluation, only a rabidly psychotic mind would see within the Quran the justification for an organization like ISIS.

ISIS and the Quran is not the same thing. Not even close. I don’t know what ISIS is following but I don’t think it is the Quran. As I said my study is not complete but it is close enough to write this for my own satisfaction.

Regarding the Quran, it is typical of religious texts, violent or not violent, dependent on the context of your own faith and viewpoint. Regarding Islam; I would bet that not a handful of people on the whole planet at this time understand what it really is, myself included. Regarding ISIS; shoot them with bacon bits and send them to Hell without their virgins.

I now give you these very wise parting words from Matthew 7:2, “For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.”

America, you will be judged for your actions by your own people, history, the rest of the world and God. Be absolutely certain you get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment